I left my 2 cents over at Walking the Hedge regarding Pagans and politics.
I don't really tend to dip into topics like this, and, after this post I will likely leave it at that. BUT - I couldn't just let what I needed to say sitting and festering. It leaves me a little shocked that we and I, as American Pagans, could be so generalized like that.
I could go on, but I think I'll just leave it at that.
*Californians, I don't hate you. I just don't like it when people assume that every American Pagan, or that most Americans in general find it some sort of holy land. My holy land? It's right under my feet.
Oddly it wasn't until recently that i encountered my first American-bashing Canadians... Seattle and Vancouver have a deep bond and shared perspectives, we even sing the Canadian anthem at state service events after our own anthem... and my coworkers are Canadians who aren't disparaging towards Americans... No offence to hedgie, but she doesn't have the monopoly on American perspective... only a narrow view... and by the way, Canada has a LOAD of huge governmental problems. We are all of us imperfect... sigh.
ReplyDeleteI responded to your comment. *smiles*
ReplyDeletehttp://walkingthehedge.net/blog/2011/04/political-pagans/comment-page-1/#comment-30554
I sent you a message on twitter about this. It's just the Ottawa bug biting. Everyone who moves there feels the need to stick their head into politics at some point.
ReplyDeleteMost of the Americans and American Pagans I know are pretty awesome and do care about politics, they just don't go shouting about like they don't go around their town shouting "I'm a witch, I'm a witch!" And, to be contrary, Canadians don't have Selena Foxes fighting for Pagan veterans rights and Pagan funeral rights, we don't have Starhawks fighting for the environment. We just don't have these types of figures in our culture like Americans do so of course it looks like US Pagans are more politically conscious than we Canucks are!
There's nothing wrong with keeping one's opinions to themselves. My hubby and I don't always tell each other who we vote for - why should our political stances be anyone else's business let alone the Pagan community's?