Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Bee friend,

As I shut the window to the kitchen this afternoon a bee, buzzed up drunkenly and bumped into the window a few times. I always stop and watch bees, and tell them how cute they are, or ask them what they're up to, even though I've never had one speak back to me. I had to ask this bee, what the hell it was doing outside my kitchen window, in the middle of winter. It was a mild day today, but still, unseasonably weird. He buzzed off up and over the house and I thought little of it.

Now, at about 10pm I decided to march up stairs and brew myself some night time tea... and I nearly stepped on him. There, in my carpeted stairs was a bee. On the edge of death, I think I saw his little antennae twitch. His body wasn't yet crisp but it was still flexible.

I gently picked him up, placed him on a leaf shaped plate. I offered him my favorite and best honey (local peppermint, nearing the very last sweet dregs of my jar) and a burnt offering of bee oracle incense. I said a few words and wished him well as he went off.

I don't dream about bees too often. I'm trying to listen, but I don't know if I'm able to hear. I wonder what they want? This is the second bee body I've found in strange circumstances. If not a messenger, a familiar?

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog tonight and think it's fantastic. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences and was particularly moved by this one.
    Since you had already found another bee in an offering bowl it does seem like they want to tell you something. Do you think they could be spirit guides or totem animals? It seems a likely possibility, especially after finding one in a sacred dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something special happened. It's way out of season for bees and how did it get in the house? I found a freshly dead bee last summer at the foot of my henbane plants - it's wings still out as if it died in mid flight. A pretty clear sign - intoxication for "travelling".

    I would look into intoxication and gods of intoxication - Dionysus, Medb, Artemis... Maybe you're meant to be a honey or mead oracle? Or perhaps the bee has volunteered herself to be your familiar guide for navigating between worlds? Plus there's that whole gardening connection and I know you're planting a garden this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aziraphael - Thank you. I hope to find out the meaning of these bees! It'll take some digging and work to get to the bottom of it, but that's the fun ;)

    Sarah - Oh they're relentless... For the few moments I stood outside today (it's actually sunny!) soaking up some much needed sun three or four of them buzzed around and landed on me! When I went looking for bee lore, I got information regarding Artemis (who has also been popping up in a lot of my reading lately) and her bee priestesses, fascinating stuff.

    When I get paid, a mead making kit is first on my to buy list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bees are funny little boogers and good allies to have. The bumblebees around my place love to be all in my business, I like to show them what I'm doing when I'm outside. Have fun with your new bee friends!

    ReplyDelete