Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hymn to Hekate,


Lovely Hekate of the roads and crossroads I invoke;
In heaven, on earth, and in the sea, saffron-cloaked,
Tomb spirit, reveling in the souls of the dead,
Daughter of Perses, haunting deserted places, delighting in deer,
Nocturnal, dog-loving, monstrous queen,
Devouring wild beasts, ungirt, of repelling countenance.
You, herder of bulls, queen and mistress of the whole world,
Leader, nymph, mountain-roaming nurturer of youth, maiden,
I beseech you to come to these holy rites,
Ever with joyous heart and ever favoring the oxherd.

- Orphic Hymn to Hekate

(ETA: A better translation provided by Forest Door)

3 comments:

  1. I love that hymn, but the translation there is unfortunately terrible. The Athanassakis one is much closer to the Greek (for instance, the gist is that She is 'reveling like a Bacchante' which was a common metaphor, not actually celebrating the Bacchanalia):

    Lovely Hecate of the roads and crossroads I invoke;
    In heaven, on earth, and in the sea, saffron-cloaked,
    Tomb spirit, reveling in the souls of the dead,
    Daughter of Perses, haunting deserted places, delighting in deer,
    Nocturnal, dog-loving, monstrous queen,
    Devouring wild beasts, ungirt, of repelling countenance.
    You, herder of bulls, queen and mistress of the whole world,
    Leader, nymph, mountain-roaming nurturer of youth, maiden,
    I beseech you to come to these holy rites,
    Ever with joyous heart and ever favoring the oxherd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @forestdoor - Thank you for the clarification. That was the first translation I had stumbled across in, Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion by Robert Von Rudloff

    I just googled 'Athanassakis Orphic hymns' and found a copy of the translations for download.

    ReplyDelete