Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Milking the non-dairy cow,

Made my hazelnut milk. I could not find my blasted nut milk bag. So I just used cheese cloth and double strained it. Turned out rather nice. Kind of "green" tasting, but good nontheless.

Soaked haelnuts





Gunna get my bake on. Busted out my old culinary school baking book, totally forgot what a treasure trove that book is!

Its also bright and sunny here today, very windy though. Another long, cold, wet spring? Argh I hope not! Last year was bad.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! that's really neat. Being super allergic to dairy (like anaphylaxis/death allergic), I'm always really into non-dairy alternatives. Do you save the solids that come from your milk making? My mom was born in Taiwan and she makes soymilk in a very similar manner and often uses the solids to make yummy blueberry pancakes. I'm curious to see more from you on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel nut milk! How freakin' awesome is that! So many witchy applications... Happy Imbolc!

    Slainte!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jill - I gave the solids from this batch to the birds and squirrels, they totally pigged out, heh. But yeah, I have used them before. Pancakes! I never even thought of that, totally giving it a try!

    @witchofforestgrove.com - yeah you should totally try it! The fatty bits will even separate, you can scoop off a layer of cream and use it in tea and what have you. Almond is probably my favorite flavor wise. Yummy stuff :D

    ReplyDelete