Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

I should not be doing this right now, very random:

I really need to be working, not blogging. The urge is taking me over.

Many of my quick posts have been on tumblr. Its more less a good quick dumping ground for dreams, and quick photos.

I've been busy as shit and worn, but good.

I was in a bit of an empty space for a little while. I wasn't feeling anything good. Drained, tired, headachy (for a week or two) and then I realized just about 20 minutes ago why I had been feeling that way: I made an offering to my surrounding forest recently (just moved out here, beginning to make acquaintances). It was well received I believe, cautious acceptance I think. A few days after the offering, I had been out to collect blackberries and yarrow I found, arranged almost too perfectly in a tunnel of grass right by my feet, a dead hare. Probably a few days dead. It was a gift and I didn't take it. I offended. I KNEW it. I knew it the moment I walked away from the little thing. I feel like a prick. Never again. Lesson learned.

I have lots of projects planned out. It is a matter of waiting for the right moon phase! I've been keeping TeuxDeux open in my browser at all times to keep notes on when I'd like to get projects done or started. I need organization, or I'll just forget everything, heh. Stoner memory here.

Dandelion root harvesting is the nearest project that I've got going on. Going to try it as part of a dream tea. Lots of the little buggers growing in the yard of course. I'll be weeding (they're in the future garden area) and making something useful at the same time, two birds, one stone!

Adorable little egg eh? It was a dud left in a nest that I happened to find sitting low in the raspberry bush. I had never noticed it before, the nest kind of seemed to come from nowhere, literally. I wasn't quite sure the nest was abandon, because I would often see a female bird hopping around in that general area. I left it for a few weeks and kept an eye on it, no mother bird. She would have been out there giving me a firm lecture if I had gotten close at all, and I never happened to see her. The egg was hollow, a small opening on the bottom, I assume from insects.

Also! I had a GREAT mail day a little while ago:

Goodies from Forest Grove and books I probably shouldn't have ordered because I have stacks I need to read my way though. Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits has jumped to the top of my list though!

7 comments:

  1. Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits is a neccessity. You won't regret ordering it. :)

    Thanks for reminding me that I have a billion and one roots to get out of the ground: dandelion, echinacea, marsh mallow, etc. Must make a list and strategize now so that I can get them all out in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits is on my wishlist!

    Unfortunatly I have to really cut my spending down for the next few months because moving has eaten away all my savings. Let me know how you like it! I've heard alot of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Cunning Folk & Familiar Spirits about three times now and I have underlined a third of it... Even though it's not written for us witches, Wilby accidentally wrote a manual on how to do trancework, acquire familiar spirits, and travel between worlds.

    Mmm roots. Are you going to toast the dandelion roots for you tea? It makes them taste all caramelly delicious.

    Slainte!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. hearthcrafter - I'm in the same boat right now! Moving ate up all of our savings too. Living situation is much better though, so I cant complain too much, heh. Know your Scottish if you get the book ;) Much of the book quotes trial records from cunning folk and witches, its really fun to read though.

    Sarah - Ohh, I never even thought about toasting them, definitely gunna do that!

    Ahh her Cunning Folk book is going to require many, many re-readings! I'm quite excited to try and get my hands on her other book too, but I should probably finish this one first before I start thinking about that, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Cunning Folk from the university library, but I really need to own it ASAP. It's going to require many re-readings, it's an amazing resource. Also, there's a great novel called The Daughters of the Witching Hill that covers the same themes from a fictionalized perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forest Grove is awesome and so is the book, I hope that you enjoy. :) I am still waiting to get Visions of Isobel Gowdie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cunning folk and Familiar spirits is one of my favorite books of all time; I got it from our local library (I live in Eugene, OR), but will be getting a copy for my own collection at some point soon.

    ReplyDelete